Blue Hills Trail CONDITIONS
Tuesday - morning update
Click here for helpful maps that show our open trails.
Spring is here, there's lots of snow remaining.
Yesterday morning (Monday), the classic track was fairly well defined, with a mild-moderate amount of litter deposited by brisk winds over the weekend. Good classic skiing if you can tolerate the trail litter. As a spur-of-the-moment decision, the skate lane on the modified East Side Core Loop was touched up early Monday morning and provided good skate skiing. The side trails on the East Side (and Excelsior Road on the West Side) also had good skate skiing Monday. Beautiful first day of Spring with temps reaching the upper 30s.
A very destructive mid December ice storm (visit our blog for photos etc) shut down our trails for a short time. Fortunately we've been able to open 60% of our East Side trails, and Excelsior Road is open on the West Side.
Snowshoers: the Ridges Snowshoe Trail is cleared of tree damage, we prefer you use that as your first option. If snowshoeing on the groomed ski trail, please snowshoe well to the side. Click here for a blog post regarding the new 'Highland Loop'.
Autumn 2022, loggers cut a large timber sale on the East Side in the vicinity of the Otter Slide and Far East trails (those trails are the furthest 'east' trails). This winter loggers are hauling those logs to market using a route to the east and mostly separate from the ski trails. Click here for a map showing the involved trails.
March 17: 1" from blustery snow showers in the evening
March 16: 1/4" rain, then 1" windblown snow
grooming & MOWING
Grooming Report / Plans: Click here to see maps of the open trails
March 20 (Monday morning): touched up the skate lane on the modified East Side Core Loop.
March 17 (Friday evening): groomed the skate deck on all the open trails, and set classic track on the frequently traveled trails.
Blue Hills Trail Weather Links
- Local Forecast - Wunderground
- Local Radar
- National Radar
- Ventusky Maps (high tech weather maps)
- Current & past snowfall amounts at Blue Hills Trail (since 1999)
- Snow depth (upper Midwest) the past 7 days
- National Snow Info Map
- NOAA Snow Depth Change (National & Local)
- JohnDee snowfall forecast (he's a meteorologist in Michigan's UP)
- Snow forecast upper Midwest (Wunderground)
- NOAA Temp-Cast (and more) Upper Mississippi Valley
- NOAA Forecast Maps for Wisconsin
- 6-Day Forecast (temp & precip)
- Recent snowfall amounts
- Rainfall totals the past 72 hours
- US Wind Map
- Global Wind Map
- Sun & Moon data
- Lake Superior Ice Caves (winter conditions) - (715) 779-3397 ext. 3
- Meteor Showers
- The Aurora