We were able to enjoy a few more hours of fun skiing in the Blue Hills this morning. The weather forecast suggests we are done grooming for the winter of 2011-12.Here's a bit of a recap:
- We started grooming on December 4th, & have skied in the Hills regularly since then (a total of 98 days on groomed snow).
- We groomed a total of 39 times.
- December was dry, allowing only 5 opportunities to groom - but we kept skiing on our rock skis.
- January snowfall picked up, groomers worked on 17 days that month.
- February was drier again, requiring 11 days of grooming.
- March produced our only decent snowstorm - & another 6 days of grooming.
We owe a big thank you to our groomers. Equipment break downs and mechanical problems were handled efficiently & never compromised the grooming. Thank you to Dan Bartels, Steve Gest, & Jesse Wimer for capturing every available snowflake & saving the winter of 2011-12! It certainly was an unusual winter (warm & dry). Fortunately, we were lucky to receive just enough snow to enjoy fun conditions for most of 3 months. Welcoming the many happy skiers that traveled to find snow in the Blue Hills was very rewarding.
Recent comments from the logbook in the warming house
- 3/8: Great ski today all alone! Thanks to the groomers for all the great work this winter. Hate to see it end. --Ladysmith, WI
- 3/9: Awesome! --author's location unknown
- 3/10: Got going 7:30 a.m. when "the window" was still closed & locked. Thanks to yesterday's grooming (by Dan the man) we threw the window open 'til it started to get slow ~9:30. What fun! --Ladysmith, WI
- 3/10: Another fabulous year in the Hills. Thank you to the crew! --Barron, WI
- 3/10: Great spring skiing. Thanks. --Minneapolis, MN
- 3/11: Great hike thru woods. Stayed off trails. This is what makes real outdoors men & women. --author's location unknown
- 3/13: Just checkin' out old playground. --author's location unknown
- 3/13: I was able to ski out the 'gravel road' about 2.5 km, crossing two short bare sections. to a wide melted out area then returned. --Ladysmith, WI
- 3/23: Snow completely gone - can you believe it! --Rice Lake, WI
Image information: If you want to save any images from this blog post for yourself, simply right click the full size image to obtain the original. Higher quality images are available by contacting our website. To avoid copyright infringement, reprints must credit the Blue Hills Trail Association, Inc.