Blue Hills Trail CONDITIONS
Sunday - morning update
Packed powder conditions, very good skating, excellent striding.
A very destructive December ice storm (visit our blog for photos etc) initially shut down our skiing. Despite the December ice storm, about half of our East Side trails are open; Excelsior Road is open on the West Side. Click here for helpful maps that show our open trails.
Snowshoers: we prefer you use the Ridges Snowshoe Trail as your first option. If snowshoeing on the groomed ski trail, please snowshoe well to the side. On January 26, a great new loop was added to the Ridges Trail - the 'Highland Loop' - it climbs to the Ridgeline near intersection #12. The 'Highland Loop' doesn't yet show on our maps, but it's well marked in the field.
Autumn 2022, loggers cut a large timber sale on the East Side in the vicinity of the Otter Slide and Far East trails (those trails are the furthest 'east' trails). In late January, when the ground is well frozen, loggers will haul those logs to market using a route to the east and mostly separate from the ski trails. Click here for a map showing the involved trails.
January 27: 2" fine grained dry snow
grooming & MOWING
Grooming Report / Plans --- note: due to December 15 extensive ice storm damage, grooming is currently limited to about half of the East Side trails and Excelsior Road on the West Side. These are some of our favorite trails. Click here to see where we're grooming.
January 28 evening: touched up the skate deck
January 27 evening: groomed all the open trails - including fresh classic track
Knowing he had a lot of work ahead of him, the infamous Blue Hills Bill rolled out of bed early today. Eager to get a start on things, he munched a quick breakfast, and started digging. With loads of snow cover, he dug & dug & dug… and dug & dug & dug… and just in the nick of time, he crawled out of his burrow at 7:26 this morning and delivered his annual prognostication to the awaiting crowd in downtown Bruce, WI. Read on…
Blue Hills Bill
Awoke from his slumber;
Winter started early
Too many days to number.
His shadow distinct
Bill scurried away;
6 more weeks of winter
Lots of time to play!
Comments from the crowd
- 2/2: Never know when another big storm is gonna head our way. Better ski when the trails are firm! -Eau Claire, WI
- 2/2: This winter in southern Wisconsin has been crummy, pull the kids out of school, we’re staying in the Blue Hills. –Madison, WI
- 2/2: Bill says winter’s gonna stick around. I like the cold, it makes for easy waxing, great classic skiing. More time to get our kicks! –Rice Lake, WI
- 2/2: Thanks for the advice, Bill. So much snow, so little time, never enough winter… –Sumner, WA
Thanks to Kate P for dressing our snowperson (photos below) for February.
News Flash! Knowing he had a lot of work ahead of him, the infamous Blue Hills Bill set his anti-hibernation alarm for an early awakening today. Eager to get a start on things, he munched a quick breakfast, and started digging. With near-record deep snows, he dug & dug & dug... and dug & dug & dug... and just in the nick of time, he crawled out of his burrow at 7:25 this morning and delivered his annual prognostication to the awaiting crowd in downtown Bruce, WI. Read on...
Ice in early December,
Brought branches and trees crashing down;
Then snows like none could remember,
Polar winds making hardy folks frown.
Said Bill, "Time's a wastin' - Go play!
"Record snowfall's your ticket to fun;
Ski the Hills now, day after day,
No shadow! when snowbanks block sun!
Comments from the crowd
- 2/2: This winter won't last forever, bundle up the kids, we're heading to the Blue Hills Trail right away! --Bruce, WI
- 2/2: Bill says Spring's coming early! So what if it's cold now, this makes for easy waxing, mint conditions, great classic skiing. Time to get our kicks! --Rice Lake, WI
- 2/2: Thanks for the advice, Bill. So much snow, so little time... --Ladysmith, WI
- 2/2: Better ship some of this extra snow to our friends in Folsom, CA. --Sprinter Gypsy Camp, TX
The infamous Blue Hills Bill crawled out of his burrow this morning and delivered his annual prognostication to the awaiting crowd in downtown Bruce, Wisconsin. Read on...
from weather confusion,
To his doctor did go
Blue Hills Bill;
For temperature tricks,
Doc offered a fix,
"You must swallow
this nasty big pill."
Shadow not missing,
Bill was heard hissing,
"Climate change means
it's time to adapt;
With snow in the Hills,
delay not your thrills,
Ski like crazy
'til you are tapped!"
Comments from the crowd
- 2/2: I'm not wasting any time, heading to the Blue Hills right away! --Bruce, WI
- 2/2: Ski now or forever hold your skis. --Rice Lake, WI
- 2/2: Thanks for the advice, Bill. Carpe diem! --Ladysmith, WI
Local groundhog Blue Hills Bill didn't see his shadow this morning. "You call this winter?"
Blue Hills Bill spent the past six weeks,
Sunbathing beneath a big tree;
It's been too warm to call this a winter,
And Bill has some advice for thee:
"Do not hesitate,
go ski the Hills now,
'Cause my shadow
I could not see;
Enjoy those trails
while they're covered with snow,
This winter has
perplexed even me!"
Blue Hills Trail
Subscribe to Newsletter Updates
Stay in-the-know about grooming updates, special events, news, announcements, volunteer days, and more. Rest-assured, we never sell or share your information.